Monday, January 16, 2006

Brokeback, Walk the Line take top Golden Globe honors

It's official: Brokeback Mountain is the film to beat in the race for the Oscars. The movie picked up best drama, director and screenplay, as well as best song. Brokeback's Heath Ledger lost his leading actor bid to Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote), and Michelle Williams - Ledger's real-life wife and co-star in Brokeback - was passed over for Rachel Weisz's performance in The Constant Gardener. Meanwhile Walk the Line swept the musical/comedy categories.

Here are film winners from tonight's Golden Globes:

Drama: Brokeback Mountain
Actress, Drama: Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Actor, Drama: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Comedy or Musical: Walk the Line
Actress, Comedy or Musical: Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
Actor, Comedy or Musical: Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Supporting Actor: George Clooney, Syriana
Foreign Language Film: Paradise Now, from Palestine
Best Director: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
Best Screenplay: Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, Brokeback Mountain
Best Original Score: John Williams, Memoirs of a Geisha
Best Original Song: "A Love That Will Never Grow Old," Brokeback Mountain

So how did I do? I'm glad I didn't take a stab at the supporting actor or actress categories, because I would have bombed. Instead - as you, dear, loyal reader, know - I stuck to the lead actor & actress categories, and the best drama and comedy films. I also threw my opinion in on best director . . . and, I'm proud to say I was seven for seven! I'll be back later in the week with some analysis and commentary . . . and, of course, more predictions as we look forward to the Oscar nominations at the end of this month and the various guild awards. But right now it's time for a nightcap and bed.

No comments: