Monday, May 21, 2007

Virgin Festival 2007: The Killers wrap up two-day fest with hot performance


Brandon Flowers is so delicious, I could literally ice him with frosting and serve him for dessert.

Flowers and company, aka The Killers, delighted thousands of fans tonight when they appeared at the Virgin Festival shortly after 9pm. The seven-time Grammy nominees were rumored to possibly cancel their performance, since Flowers had been ill for a few days - forcing them to reschedule Seattle's concert to May 27. But, early in the afternoon the band confirmed with festival organizers that they were okay to play. And that they did.

The Killers (pictured) opened with the title track from their sophomore disc, Sam's Town, under a sparkly banner with those exact two words (album title) emblazened on it. Flowers, dressed in form-fitting charcoal slacks and matching vest, with a red ribbon tie, had me at hello. He looked so hot, and you honestly couldn't tell he'd been ill before this show.

"When You Were Young" and "Somebody Told Me", which had everyone jumping in the oversized pit, were performed in the first half of the set. "Bones" and my personal favorite, "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine", were also tossed into the top portion of The Killers' show. This marks the second time I've seen them, and they've impressed me both times.

Earlier on the main stage, Hot Hot Heat dazzled V-Fest attendees with an exuberating, whopping performance that included a terrific version of "Dirty Mouth". Lead singer Steve Bays stood out in a nice pair of dress pants, white button-down shirt, and a curly mop of hair.

I missed AFI's set because I was hanging out with Canadian band The Reason, specifically group members Jeremy Widerman and Cam Bordignon. They are two of the sweetest, cutest rock dudes I've ever met, seriously. And I've met several, including Brandon "of The Killers" Flowers, who by the way still sports a mean moustache. The Reason are in the process of hopefully being signed to a US record label, and they should because their music is heavenly. Great, bouncy pop-rock. I'll detail the conversation I had with Widerman and Bordignon in an upcoming print issue of the Seattle Gay News. I will say, however, that The Reason recently joined forces with Sara, of Tegan and Sara fame, for a song on their album called Things Couldn't Be Better. They'd also have no problem playing at a gay wedding reception, and would play free of charge if it was a friend of theirs tying the knot.

Take a listen to The Reason's cool single, "All I Ever Wanted", at www.myspace.com/thereasonrock and help spread the word about this exciting new band. More on The Reason in the coming weeks.

Well, I'm wiped out from two days of festival gazing. It's time to retreat to my room here at the Opus Hotel, Vancouver's hippest spot, and fall asleep watching TV.

I've had an awesome time covering the Virgin Festival for you, and now it's time to pass the blog torch to Ron Anders, who flies out to Oahu this week to bring you special coverage of the Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival.

Ciao from Vancouver!

No comments: