Thursday, October 30, 2008

Everything Sticky & Sweet: Madonna tonight for the very first time


It's Albert again from Seattle Gay News on an overcast morning in Vancouver, British Columbia. Just got back from breakfast at a new place called Medina Cafe (http://www.medinacafe.com/) in the Crosstown District, a place that serves wild morning inventions like a cassoulet with eggs or the Tagines, which I had - two poached eggs over spicy tomato stew, olives, red peppers, cilantro and a side of fresh tortilla chips.

Tonight is the night we've been waiting for, Madonna at BC Place Stadium! I found out where Madonna is staying in Vancouver this morning, but I'm not at liberty to say - though, you can bet I'll walk by there and touch the steps of the hotel just to say I did. Wow! She's here, her crew is already assembling outside the stadium to make sure the stage equipment is ready to go!

And, everyone in Vancouver that I've bumped into seems to be going tonight. In fact, a local radio station announced this morning that a limited number of tickets were available and within minutes a woman said she paid $600 for a pair. Incredible!

I am a total virgin to the live Madonna experience, so I am beside myself just thinking about it. I remember buying my first Material Girl album and listening to "Physical Attraction" and "Holiday" over and over again on my parents' vintage record player. And now, two decades later I'm going to my first ever Madonna concert.

So, if you're in Vancouver and wondering where to go before the show - try 1181's (http://www.tightlounge.com/) Pre-Madonna Party hosted by the Vancouver GLBA and Skyy Vodka kicking off 5:30pm. No cover charge, special cocktails, located right in the Davie Village and that of course spells lots of gay boys cocktailing before the big show. DJ Gluve is spinning Material Girl songs all night long.

Other suggestions in the gay district are Numbers, Odyssey, The Majestic, and Pumpjack. Outside the gay district, check out George, Cactus Club Cafe, Chambar, Global, or Bin 941.

After the concert, stop by Celebrities (http://www.celebritiesnightclub.com/) post-show bash called "The Candy Shop" featuring a performance by stage performer Trixie. $10 charge at the door. The party gets hopping at 9pm and goes to 3am. Celebrities is normally the place to shake it in Vancouver, so tonight it'll be totally crazy.

The Vancouver Sun has put out a tentative set list, according to previous Sticky & Sweet tour stops, in today's newspaper. But, I'm not going to dare peek at it and instead be surprised. My personal wishlist is as follows:

1 True Blue - my absolute favorite song by Madonna, it always make me feel...well, gay.
2 Erotica - heard this for the first time in Hawaii, and it's a personal fave.
3 La Isla Bonita - I was visiting my brother in Miami when this song broke out, and the radio stations and locals went crazy for it there.
4 Dress You Up - an oldie but a goodie, I'll scream if she does it tonight.
5 The Power of Goodbye - from her Ray of Light album, such a great song.
6 Let It Will Be - from the last album and tour, but I'm crossing my fingers for it.
7 4 Minutes - a guarantee tonight, but how will do it without JT?
8 Physical Attraction - I fell in love with Madonna by this song.
9 Live to Tell - brings back memories of my first gay crush.
10 Get Into the Groove - listened to this all the way to Christian camp one summer.

No comments: